While allopathic medicine tends to focus on the management of disease, Ayurveda provides us with the knowledge of how to prevent disease and how to eliminate its root cause if it does occur.
Post Chikungunya, the patient is left with arthritis affecting multiple joints and debilitated for a very long period of time. In the previous post (Chikungunya -Do we need to fear?) I mentioned about the Allopathic treatment options available. We see that the treatment is largely based on symptoms for the pain and fever. While the recovery is the expected outcome, suffering can be prolonged and the persistent joint pain may require long term treatment.In Ayurveda Chikungunya is known as Sandhijwara which also means fever of the joints. Ayurveda has a great deal to offer by way of relief from Chikungunya and other post viral arthritis. Since there is no known vaccination for Chikungunya in allopath, people increasingly turns towards traditional Indian medicine known as Ayurveda.
Chikungunya treatment in Ayurveda
Ayurvedic treatment for Chikungunya includes
- Preventive treatment to improve immunity.
- Treatment to cure fever.
- Treatment to relieve muscle and joint pains.
- Rejuvenation treatment.
The following Ayurvedic medicines are helpful in managing fever and muscle & joint pain in Chikungunya:
This plant is also famous with some other names like heart-leaved moon-seed and guduchi. Giloy in Ayurveda, is known as Amruta, means nectar. It is a large, climbing shrub with twining branches.
• Uses : Take Giloy branches and cut its pieces.Boil these pieces into three glass of water. When the mixture minimizes to its half quantity, cool the mixture. Drink this juice three times a day.
Nirgundi (Vitex negundo)
In Ayurveda, Nirgundi/Five leaved chaste is an extraordinary and miraculous herb. It suppresses water born infections, alleviates joints and relieves pain. It is a very famous medicinal herb for joint related problems. It enhances intellect. It is anthelmintic and kills worms and microorganisms. It promotes digestion, stimulates liver and cures bronchial asthma. It is antipyretic and especially cures high fever. It also promotes physical strength and cures eyes and nose related problems.
• Uses : Boil its 10 gm leaves in 100 ml water and give it to the patient, every morning and evening. Massage of its oil is very beneficial in general weakness and problem of legs.
Punarnava (Boerhaavia diffusa)
Punarnava, is a very well-known herb in Ayurvedic culture also known as spreading hogweed. It is cool and containing lots of medicinal properties in it. It is an antidote to venom and treats fever and arthritis.
• Uses : In case of fever give 2 gm of its root with milk or betel leaf. You can also give the decoction of its whole plant.In case of Arthritis and joint pain give hogweed decoction with 1 gm of ginger root and camphor. Continue this treatment for a week.
Nishotha (Operculina turpethum)
Nishotha also known as Operculina turpethum or turpeth / Indian jalap is one of the best Ayurveda herbs for liver.
• Uses : Mix Nishotha powder with sugar in 1:1 ratio. Take 2-6 gm of this mixture twice in a day to cure jaundice and fever.
Guggulu (Commiphora mukul)
Guggulu is most effective herb which has analgesic and anti-inflammatory action. It is a natural remedy to reduce joint pains and swelling. It is a natural source of antioxidants which helps to remove toxins from body. It supports the healthy immune system. It provides good support to the joints. In Ayurveda, it is defined as one of the useful herb for rheumatoid arthritis. It has property that reverses the degenerative effects occurring in bones and joints and relieves pain in arthritis.
To know more about the causes and symptoms of Chikungunya read the post Chikungunya -Do we need to fear?